More than 90% of the World’s trade is transported by ships.
Shipping is one of the most important sectors in the global economy. As a globally competitive industry, it is not influenced by the current situation in the Greek economy.
The MSc in Shipping Management is designed to develop professionals equipped with the skills, knowledge and expertise required for a successful career in the demanding and highly competitive world of Shipping.
The program provides students with a holistic and in depth knowledge of the most important issues in modern commercial shipping. Students will gain solid foundations of ship management, maritime economics, ship technology, chartering, maritime law, insurance, risk and strategic management, which are particularly relevant for companies in this sector.
Full Time and Part Time mode: The program commences every September and is offered on a full-time (12 months) and part-time (24months) basis. All courses -for the full-time and the part-time participants- are held in the evening.
Highlights of the Program
|The MSc in Shipping is designed for:
- Recent graduates looking for a career within the shipping industry
- Shipping professionals who wish to enrich their know-how and improve their professional status
- Officers of the Merchant Marine serving both at sea & onshore
- Members of family businesses preparing to take on increasing responsibility in their companies
- Young professionals with the determination to enter the shipping industry
A generic shipping program: Rather than being a specialized shipping program, the MSc in Shipping Management provides a thorough and deep understanding of all the major theories and practices that can be encountered in a modern shipping company. Holistic knowledge of the operations of a shipping company is of primary importance for those who want to start their careers in shipping.
Academic rigor with practical know-how: The program balances academic rigor with practical experience in order to serve the needs of tomorrow’s ship managers in the most effective ways. Specialized shipping workshops will be delivered by distinguished industry speakers providing in-depth insight into the cutting edge of shipping practice.
Ideal location: The program is offered in Greece, a country with a long-standing tradition in shipping. Greek ship-owners control more than 16% of the world merchant fleet and hold a leading position in the global maritime shipping market. More than seven hundred Greek shipping companies are situated in Piraeus and the surrounding areas.
Links to the industry: the program is strongly supported by the Greek shipping community. Students will benefit from the close links between ALBA and the Greek Shipping community.
Through the MSc in Shipping Management Program, you will:
- Acquire an in depth knowledge of the concepts and the processes involved in the management of a shipping company
- Become familiar with technical terms and particularities of ocean-going vessels
- Be able to identify and discuss legal issues which rise in international transport transactions
- Become up to date with the latest trends and issues in the shipping industry and be able to evaluate their impact on it
- Understand the sources of risk that modern shipping companies face and identify the range of company strategies available in the context of industry constraints
- Develop global viewpoint and a critical way of thinking
The MSc in Shipping Management is accredited by the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers and the Hellenic Shipbrokers Association (HSA).
Graduates from the Program are eligible for three exam exemptions from the ICS Professional Qualification. In addition all MSc in Shipping Management graduates can obtain the Gnosis Certificate (S.G.C.) by attending 10 out of 24 S.G.C. seminars.
The MBA in Shipping is also endorsed by :
Master's and Mates Union of Greek Merchant Marine (Π.Ε.Π.Ε.Ν.)